Friday, January 06, 2006

Happy New Year everyone !!!

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas and celebrated the end of 2005 and the new beginning of 2006 on New Years Eve. Anyone with a hangover the next morning? As for me, I slept through it. I was asked at the breakfast table the next morning if I had seen the fireworks going off all over Saipan last night. I missed it. The ship is at anchor off the island and I am sure the view would have been something to see. There is always next year.

Well, it is 6 January now and the ship is at Guam. At anchor. It's a rare thing to be pierside I guess. Well, at least the "water taxi" ride is only 15 minutes to shore. So far I have been ashore twice. Both times staying on the Naval base. Did some shopping at the base exchange and had myself a few cold ones. Before we leave here to head back to our home anchorage at Saipan, I'll try to make a trip off base. I was here about 3 or so years ago when I was on the USNS Kiska (an ammo ship) employed by Military Sealift Command (MSC). I am sure things haven't changed a whole lot.

Saipan is about 100 miles North of Guam. It only takes a day to get here. If I had my preference, I would rather stay here at Guam instead of Saipan. At Guam there is the Naval base and an Air Force base as well as the tourist spots. Saipan just has the tourist spots which are good places if your want to go broke. The prices are very high. Geared for the heavy Japanese tourist. A single room at the Hyatt costs $320.00 for one night. Now sure there are some places which are not as expensive. There is a coffee shop that I enjoy going to. They have wireless internet there for free. I usually bring my laptop and have a couple of cafe lattes while I surf the net and send emails.








1 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You posted this on my birthday...1/6/2006
Hope you're happy.
I miss you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home