Sunday, February 05, 2006

Spending time in Guam - short trip off base

Hi all. We are back at Guam again. Temp in the mid to high 80's. Nice weather for shorts and Ts.
Went ashore yesterday. Visited Andersen Air Force base. Mike, a co-worker, needed to go there to return an external hard drive that he had bought for his computer. He asked if I wanted to come along. Sure. Bennie, a friend and one of the Navy guys assigned to our ship, had a vehicle and offered to take Mike (us) to the base. From the Navy base to the Air Force base it took us 45 minutes. It's pretty much a straight shot.... follow the road straight out of the Naval Base main gate..... go x miles and then turn right to enter the Air Force base. Their AAFES store (military department store) has a nice selection of items. I checked out the DVD movies while Mike and Bennie returned the hard drive and picked out another one. I bought the movies "Underworld" and "Sin City" the other day. Both really good movies. If you haven't seen them yet, I recommend renting them. When we left the store I was empty handed and Mike had his new hard drive.

The time was around 6:00pm. I had to be back to the ship cause I had an 8 hour watch, 10:30pm to 06:30am to stand. The next water taxi to the ship was at 6:30pm and the one after that, 9:00pm. No chance of catching the 6:30pm one so we decided to get something to eat. Bennie knew of a Pizza Hut just down the road. After eating our large supreme with no mushroom pizza and bread sticks... sooooooo good! we still had time for a beer or two at a bar that Bennie just happen to know was next door to the Pizza Hut. Hmmmmmmmmm Strange how a sailor knows where all the bars are.

Since I had to go to work after we got back to the ship I limited my drinking to just a six pack. Ya right... I'm kidding. I just had one beer. Ok... I had two but that was it! So, a couple of beers... a couple of games of pool and it was time to go. Did I mention the two young bar maids with skimpy outfits and tattoos on the low low part of their backs? We made it back to the Naval base with time to spare to catch the 9:00pm water taxi back to the ship.

I had a nice, quite uneventful communications watch. After eating breakfast I went straight to bed.

1 Comments:

At 2:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jim
Sounds like your having a blast! We not doing much -just work. Jackie's working at a neighborhood Bar. So we went their for our anniversary(Arnie's birthday) Great Dart's my pool game has gone to Hell. Tat's about it Love you bunches
Chiz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home